- 4 x 200g red mullets, scaled, gutted, butterflied and pin-boned
- 2 teaspoons rapeseed oil
- 24 cherry tomatoes on the vine
- 4 thick slices of fresh bread, preferably wholemeal
- 200g rocket leaves
- For the tomato pickle:
- 1 teaspoon rapeseed oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- Pinch of saffron strands (optional)
- 1 lemon, zest only, finely grated
- 500g ripe tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 30g brown sugar
- 75ml red wine vinegar
- 40 minutes
- 5 A DAY:
- For the tomato pickle, warm 1 teaspoon of oil in a pan over a medium heat. Cook the onion until it starts to soften. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute. Meanwhile, toast the cumin seeds in a small dry frying pan until fragrant.
- Transfer the toasted cumin seeds into the pan with the onion and garlic, then add the chilli, saffron and lemon zest; and cook for 1 minute.
- Into the same pan, add the chopped tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes. Then add the sugar and wine vinegar and cook for about 20 minutes, until the mixture reaches a ‘jammy’ consistency.
- For the fish, preheat the grill to a medium-high heat. Brush the fish skin with 1 teaspoon of the oil and lay, skin-side up, on the grill tray with the cherry tomatoes. Grill for 4 minutes or until the fish is just cooked through (the flesh should no longer be translucent).
- To serve, toast the bread and place each slice on a warmed plate. Spoon 2 tablespoons of tomato pickle onto the toast, and top with the grilled fish and tomatoes. Add the remaining teaspoon of oil to the grill tray and mix with the fish and tomato juices to make a dressing, then drizzle over the fish. Finish with a handful of rocket leaves, and serve.
Tip: a 400g can of canned tomatoes also works in this pickle, instead of fresh tomatoes. Reduce the amount of sugar to 25g and red wine vinegar to 60ml. If you make spare pickle, keep it in the fridge and use within 4 weeks.
Buy your first Fishbox today (medium or large box only) using code ‘WCRF17' at checkout and you’ll get a 15 per cent discount. Plus Fishbox will donate a further 20 per cent to us! To sign up, visit fishbox.co.uk.
If red mullet isn’t available, red snapper makes a good substitute